Saturday, 21 September 2013

Reflection for Scenario Planning - mOOC



Way behind in my reflections

Where have the weeks gone?? I have only just realised I have not written my reflection post after the SP4Ed sessions although I had written notes, I just did not type them up and post them on my blog. So here goes for the second reflection.

Scenario Planning - In 5 sessions, I went from knowing absolutely nothing to planning two scenarios for education in 20 years’ time!! Two words – loved it! What an experience in 2 weeks – again, loved it! I know others enrolled in EDEM630 are working full time, have families, and studying at the same time. That is my life too (and was over the last 18 months completing 3 other papers), but I have been lucky enough to be on study leave whilst doing this paper (and another). Seriously, over the 2 weeks of scenario planning and mOOC I just don’t know where I found the time to complete the sessions. I did find the timeframes allocated were not exactly accurate, but I reflect upon that in my situation and realise how much I actually enjoyed taking my time, reading ‘everything’ (although we weren’t required to), covering all tasks and really thinking outside of the square as to how I would context my scenarios.  

The DEANZ 2016 scenario guide gave me a really good foundation upon which to build my understanding of scenario planning. It was relatively easy to grasp the concepts of the 4 scenarios and 2 axis and how they interplay with one another. The other resource I found inspiring was the KnowledgeWorks (Learning in 2025) scenarios. Personally, I thought some of it was a little mind-blowing yet definitely thought provoking. Could this really be our future? Could this really happen? Were any of the 4 scenarios presented actually feasible? KnowledgeWorks provided the variety of learner profiles along with the array of personal education advisors and the 4 scenarios, it made the context somewhat ‘real’ and as I have said previously - thought provoking. The KnowledgeWorks scenarios really got me thinking and inspired. I was so enthusiastic about the sessions we were completing that I just wanted to know more, wanted to read more, wanted to learn more and that was the main reason for the very late nights over the 2 weeks. I also thought how can I incorporate this into my planning for the future in Digital Technology in my school – would I have a job in 5 years time if Digital Technology was changing this rapidly? How can scenario planning help me keep my job or would it change or side-track my job to something different eg facilitator?

Certainly, it was obvious that there were several participants – not just EDEM630ers – but others too who were just as enthusiastic for scenario planning. Late night conversations (via the feed) and great sense of humours, certainly lightened the workload so to speak as there were times when others became the sounding boards for my thoughts, definitions and sharing of resourses/knowledge/understanding and making valuable educational links. For example, rekindling my Twitter account after it laying dormant for several months, saw the opportunity to ‘follow’ other Tweeters and over that 2 weeks I had an abundance of new education related followings and for that matter followers. I also now follow several blogs of different educators around the world – fascinating!

Over the 2 weeks of scenario planning, I kept lengthy notes from the sessions which upon reflection I am really pleased I had. The variety of videos and particularly speakers which were given to us over that period were amazing. Oliver Freeman, Peter Schwartz, Sir John Daniel, Ray Schroeder, Derek Wenmoth/CORE Ed and NMC Horizon Project are names of a few which I really enjoyed listening to, reading their/the articles and websites and looking for other documentation that supports scenario planning and the future of education in general.

I look forward to using all that I have learnt over this period of the course and allowing others (eg Technology Department, senior management at school) to share in my experience of scenario planning. I have no doubt they will be just as enthusiastic as I have been! 
Scenario Planning - Where to now???



2 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra,
    great reminder of how much we were learning in the SP4Ed. I enjoyed reading this. I agree with you about the value of the videos, great persuasion skills from Nicki and Wayne must have gone into getting them all to talk with us. The nice thing now is that we can encourage other colleagues to view them too, as they are not restricted to our course - the sharing aspect of open access becomes very apparent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another advantage of our open blogging model -- we have the freedom to post reflections later down the track, perhaps with greater insight with the advantage of hindsight. Great post!

    ReplyDelete